Okaloosa County Clerk of Circuit Court

Victims of Domestic Violence


Assistance for Victims of Domestic Violence

Do you qualify to file a "Petition for Injunction for Protection Against Domestic Violence"?
If a member of your household has committed a crime against you resulting in your physical injury, you may have grounds to petition the court for an "Injunction for Protection Against Domestic Violence."

This protection is available to you if that person presently resides with you as if he/she is a member of the family, or has lived together with you in the past as if they were a family member and they can be identified as:

  • A spouse
  • A former spouse
  • A person related by blood or marriage
  • A person who has lived together with you as though they were your spouse, or
  • A person with whom you have had a child together, even if you have never lived together.


What is an injunction?
It is a court order sometimes called a "Restraining Order", that directs the person not to have any contact with you.

Where can I obtain an injunction?
You can petition the court for an Injunction for Protection Against Domestic Violence by going to the Clerk of Court, Circuit Civil Division, Room 210, Okaloosa County Courthouse, 101 E. James Lee Boulevard, Crestview, FL or Clerk of Court, Circuit Civil Division,  Okaloosa County Courthouse Annex Extension, 1940 Lewis Turner Blvd,  Ft. Walton Beach, FL.

The Clerk's Office will assist you in filing your petition and will take the file to a judge for his/her review. If the judge finds merit to the petition, he/she will enter a Temporary Order for Protection Against Domestic Violence.

If the domestic violence occurs after regular business hours or on weekends or holidays you may call the Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office or the local police department, depending on your location.

What are the costs?
There is no charge for this action.

What can the injunction do for you?
The injunction can provide such relief as the court deems proper, including:

  • Restrain the violator from committing any acts of domestic violence;
  • Award you temporary exclusive use of the home;
  • Award you temporary custody of your children; establish temporary child support for minor children (if the violator has a legal obligation to do so);
  • May order the violator to participate in counseling.


What happens after the judge grants the temporary injunction?
The violator must be personally served with a copy of the petition, notice of hearing and temporary injunction. You must attend the hearing or the injunction will be dismissed.

Copies of all injunctions are placed on file with local law enforcement agencies.