Okaloosa County Clerk of Circuit Court

Traffic Tickets

Effective August 1, 2011, the Okaloosa County Clerk’s Office will not be accepting personal checks for any payment made to this office with the exception of the payment of Child Support.

A Traffic Ticket -- What to do?

What types of cases are heard in Traffic Court?
The Traffic Division of the County Court is set-up to hear criminal traffic cases and civil infractions. Criminal traffic cases are heard by County Court judges.

What is a criminal traffic charge?
This is a charge, such as Driver under the Influence, which, in most cases, requires a court appearance and it carries with it criminal penalties which may include a fine and/or the possibility of a jail term. Contact the Clerk's Office at (850) 689-5000 or (850) 651-7200 to see if a court appearance is required. Some criminal traffic cases can be resolved without a court appearance.

What is a civil traffic infraction?
A civil traffic infraction is a non-criminal charge that can usually be disposed of by payment of a civil penalty or an election to attend a defensive driving course. A court appearance is not required, except in cases where the violation involves an accident with serious bodily injury to another. Payment can be made online or cashiers check by mail by using the traffic envelope provided by the officer or to:

Clerk of Court Traffic Division
Okaloosa County Courthouse
101 E. James Lee Blvd
Crestview, FL 32536-1359


Clerk of Court Traffic Division
Okaloosa County Courthouse Annex Extension
1940 Lewis Turner Blvd
Ft. Walton Beach, FL 32547


 Pay Traffic Citation ncourt.com

How soon after issuance must I pay the ticket?
Infraction violations must be paid within thirty (30) calendar days from the date the ticket was issued.

What happens if the ticket is not paid timely?
A suspension will be entered against your driver's license, which could affect your insurance rates and subject you to additional fees and penalties.

Are there other options available to me other than paying my ticket?
Yes, payable civil infractions may be satisfied by entering a plea of not guilty, by electing to attend a driver improvement course, or by submitting an Affidavit of Compliance in cases involving safety equipment violations which have been corrected by you. Also, traffic tickets written for no valid driver's license, no registration certificate or no proof of insurance can be dismissed for a reduced amount provided you furnish proof that you had the document at the time you were charged.

How do I enter a not guilty plea to a civil traffic infraction?
You must notify the Clerk's Office, in person or in writing, within the required time frame. Your case will be scheduled for an infraction hearing where you will be formally advised of the charge against you.

Who will be present at the hearing?
The officer who issued the traffic ticket and any other witnesses called by the officer or any other witnesses that you wish to call to testify on your behalf.

What must I do if the court finds me guilty?
If you are found guilty of a civil traffic infraction, the court may assess the fine and costs, order you to attend a defensive driving course or impose other penalties. If you should fail to pay the fine and costs in the time allotted you by the court, a suspension will be issued against your driver's license and additional penalties will be imposed.

Can the Clerk's Office advise me of points assessed against my license?
No, deputy clerks cannot advise you on the number of points assessed against your driver history record or how points will affect your insurance. You must address these concerns to the Bureau of Driver Licenses and/or your insurance agent.

Pay Traffic Citation nCourt.com